Are you looking to start a garden, or to make the one you already have thrive? A weed killer would be a perfect addition to any DIY gardener’s tool belt, as weeds can be the downfall of many otherwise beautiful and healthy gardens.
- The Top 7 Reviewed Weed Killers For Flower Beds
- #1. Compare-N-Save Concentrate Grass & Weed Killer
- #2. Doctor Kirchner Natural Weed & Grass Killer
- #3. Preen Extended Control Weed Preventer
- #4. Green Gobbler 20% Vinegar Weed & Grass Killer
- #5. Ortho Weed B Gon Plus Crabgrass Control
- #6. Spectracide Weed & Grass Killer Concentrate
- #7. Preen Garden Weed Preventer
The Top 7 Reviewed Weed Killers For Flower Beds
#1. Compare-N-Save Concentrate Grass & Weed Killer
- Rainproof in 2 hours
- Visible results in as little as 2 to 4 days
- Contains 41-percent glyphosate
The Compare-N-Save Concentrate Grass & Weed Killer is our top choice for a weed killer to use in and around your flower beds. The concentrate is made from a solution of 41% glyphosate, which is a post-emergent herbicide. This means it will not prevent any new or future growth of your plants or vegetables; in fact, treated areas can be replanted in as little as one day. Glyphosate is absorbed through a plant’s foliage and then travels down to the root to kill the weed, so avoid spraying any plants or flowers you don’t want to treat.
This herbicide is highly concentrated and will kill any green plants you use it on, including lawn grass. All it takes is 1.5 ounces of the concentrate to mix with an entire gallon of water, or for tougher weed control use 2.5 ounces to 1 gallon of water. This means one container of the Compare-N-Save can give you up to 85 gallons of usable herbicide, and can cover over 25,000 square feet of garden. WIth visible results in as little as two days, and rainproof within 2 hours, with this weed killer you can treat your entire lawn or garden in no time.
#2. Doctor Kirchner Natural Weed & Grass Killer
- A natural weed killer Made from ocean salt water, commercial strength food grade vinegar and soap.
- Our non selective ready to spray Natural Weed & Grass Killer is not normally used on the lawn.
- No Mixing, No Glyphosate and No Hormone Disrupting Chemicals
The Doctor Kirchner Natural Weed & Grass Killer is a powerful, all-natural weed killer that is safe for your garden as well as the environment. The only ingredients it contains are ocean water, food grade commercial vinegar, and a pinch of soap. It is both pet and child friendly and causes no harm to the planet, and it does not come with any glyphosate or hormone disrupting chemicals.
This Weed & Grass Killer is very simple to use – all you have to do is spray the weeds you want to kill to the point of wetness. It works fast as well, with most weeds starting to wither in less than a few hours, and even the longest, most stubborn weeds turn brown within 12-24 hours. It is a non-selective spray, so make sure you don’t coat flowers or plants that you don’t want to treat. Additionally, this weed killer will last for many years as it doesn’t have any ingredients that will degrade, so it will save you time and money in the long run.
#3. Preen Extended Control Weed Preventer
- 1 Application blocks weeds up to 6 months
- When used as directed Preen Extended Control Weed Preventer can be used around more than 600 perennials, groundcovers, shrubs and trees as listed on the product label
- Can be sold as a refill for flip-top applicator bottle
The Preen Extended Control Weed Preventer is perfect if you have a garden that is currently free of weeds and you want to keep it that way. It is not a weed or grass killer, so it does not kill any pre-existing weeds and you will need to remove any weeds that are currently in your garden by hand, taking care to remove the entire root system as well. However, one single application will prevent and block 125 types of broadleaf and grassy weed growth for up to 6 months, so as long as you apply this weed preventer in your garden twice a year, you won’t have to worry about weeds ever.
It is very simple to apply as well, as all you have to do is lay down a three-inch layer of mulch, apply the Preen Extended Control over it, and water the soil. This weed preventer can be used within and around flower beds with over 600 established plants, including many common garden plants. It works best when applied in Spring, before weeds start to grow, but can be applied any time throughout the year and still be effective. Additionally, one bag can cover up to 3,500 square feet of garden soil.
#4. Green Gobbler 20% Vinegar Weed & Grass Killer
- KILLS WEEDS & GRASS FAST - Eliminate any type of weed in just a matter of hours. Expect full desiccation in less than 24 hours. Green Gobbler contains 20% acetic acid. Use on crabgrass, dandelions,...
- SAFE TO USE ANYWHERE - Perfect for residential, commercial, industrial and agricultural use. Apply where weeds and grasses are not desired. Use on driveways, sidewalks, concrete, mulch beds, pavers,...
- CERTIFIED FOR ORGANIC USE - Completely eliminates and desiccates weeds and grasses without using toxic chemicals. Made straight from corn. OMRI listed weed killer and certified for organic use.
The Green Gobbler 20% Vinegar Weed & Grass Killer is another fully natural and organic weed killer that does not use glyphosate or any hazardous chemicals at all. It is an OMRI listed certified organic weed killer that uses Acetic Acid as its only active ingredient. Also called Ethanoic acid, this is a naturally distilled ethanol from corn, and is basically vinegar but 4 times the strength. Therefore this weed killer is safe to use anywhere weeds are not wanted, like driveways, sidewalks, mulch beds or flower beds, or anywhere in your lawn or garden.
You can use the Green Gobbler on all types of weed as well, such as dandelions, clovers, crabgrass, moss, musk thistle, and many others. It works very quickly and easily – all you have to do is spray it on the affected area, and within 24 hours it will be all dried up! And it can do all of this without being potentially harmful to your children, pets, the environment, or yourself. Green Gobbler also has a 30-day money back guarantee if you’re not completely satisfied with their products.
#5. Ortho Weed B Gon Plus Crabgrass Control
- Kills crabgrass, dandelions and other common lawn weeds
- Kills weeds to the roots
- Kills 200+ weeds
The Ortho Weed B Gon Plus Crabgrass Control is a highly effective weed killer that comes with a Comfort Wand that can easily spray any affected area, and is accurate enough to work around your normal garden plants and flowers. When used as directed, it is guaranteed to not harm your lawn. It can be used on any of the common grass types you would find in your yard, including Bermudagrass and Zoysiagrass, and kills 200+ types of weed, including all the major broadleaf and grass weeds, as well as crabgrass.
The Weed B Gon starts acting immediately when applied. It is rainproof within 1 hour, and you can start seeing results within hours. With the easy application comfort wand and the convenient trigger applicator, you can only spray exactly what you need to remove, and it can be reused with a refill bottle so you won’t have to buy a new weed killer every spring.
#6. Spectracide Weed & Grass Killer Concentrate
- Kills weeds and grasses: Use on driveways and walkways, and around fences, trees, flower beds, shrubs and other areas in your yard
- Kills the root: Visible results as fast as 3 hours – replant new flowers, trees and shrubs the same weekend
- Rain-fast: Rainfall or watering 15 minutes after application will not wash away effectiveness
The Spectracide Weed & Grass Killer Concentrate is great at killing weeds and unwanted garden grasses, and can be used in a variety of applications. Firstly, you can use it when first renovating a garden to remove any and all grass, weeds, and plants, and then to start over with a fresh plant from scratch. It works quickly – you can start to replant only one day after spraying, and you will start to see visible results within 3 hours. It is also rainproof within 15 minutes of spraying.
You can also use the Spectracide Weed and Grass Killer around ornamental trees and plants and any lawnscaping you already have. Any plants you don’t want to be treated you simply cover with cardboard and spray around them. We wouldn’t recommend using this for spot treatment on your lawn, however, since it will kill any green grass it might spray.
#7. Preen Garden Weed Preventer
- Stop weeds before they start for up to 3 months guaranteed
- Safe for use around over 200 established flowers, vegetables, trees and shrubs
- Can be sold as a refill for flip-top applicator bottle
The Preen Garden Weed Preventer is another preventer that works to stop weeds from growing in the first place rather than killing them off. This Preen product stops weeds before they start for up to three months, and a single bag can cover up to 5,000 square footage of your garden, which means you can use it many times over multiple years. It is safe for use with over 200 established vegetables, plants, flowers, and trees, including edible plants and vegetables.
Although it does not kill existing weeds, you can use the Preen Garden Weed Preventer at any time during the spring, summer, or fall. All you have to do is remove the current set of weeds (don’t forget to get the roots!), apply mulch and a layer of Preen, and water. That’s all there is to it! It will then protect your garden from a whole variety of broadleaf and grassy weeds, like knotweed, thistle, chickweed, and crabgrass.
We hope you were able to help you find the best weed killer for your own specific lawn or garden. If you are still searching, we again recommend the Compare-N-Save Concentrate because it is very effective and covers by far the most area of any of the weed killers on our list. If you need an organic weed killer, however, the best you can find is the Doctor Kirchner Natural Weed Killer, which is made only from ocean water, vinegar, and soap.