When you start tilling, you need a heavy duty and powerful tiller to make that initial break through the hard, top soil layer. This article will hopefully help you find the best tiller for breaking new ground.
- Reviews for the Top 6 Tillers for Breaking New Ground
- #1. Sun Joe TJ604E 16-Inch 13.5 AMP Electric Garden Tiller/Cultivator
- #2. CHAMPION POWER EQUIPMENT 19-Inch Dual Rotating Rear Tine Tiller
- #3. Southland Outdoor Power Equipment SFTT142 Front Tine Tiller
- #4. YARDMAX YT4565 208cc Dual Rotating Rear Tine Tiller
- #5. Schiller Grounds Care 7920 Mantis 2-Cycle Tiller Cultivator
- #6. Earthquake 31043 Badger Heavy Duty Front Tine Tiller
Reviews for the Top 6 Tillers for Breaking New Ground
#1. Sun Joe TJ604E 16-Inch 13.5 AMP Electric Garden Tiller/Cultivator
- Powerful: 13. 5-Amp motor cultivates up to 16 in. Wide x 8 in. Deep
- Durable: 6 Steel angled tines for maximum durability and performance
- Easy storage: handle folds for convenient storage and easy transport
The Sun Joe TJ604E 16-Inch 13.5 AMP Electric Garden Tiller/Cultivator is our number one choice for the best tiller to use when breaking new ground in your lawn or garden. This front tine tiller is one of the most powerful options out there, and especially at its relatively low price point. The engine features a strong 13.5 amp motor that makes quick work of any soil you are working with, whether it be compacted or uncultivated, or even hard clay soil. The tines rotate at a speed of 370 RPM, which means you can cut easily through weeds or root systems, as well as fully aerate your garden soil to make the seedbed perfect for planting.
The Sun Joe TJ604E has 6 tines that are angled for an optimized performance, and made of hardened steel to keep them durable and long lasting. These tines can till a path up to 16 inches wide as well as 8 inches deep, and the rear wheel is height adjustable to three different positions, so it is easy to maneuver around any terrain and into any spot in the yard that it is needed. When it is not needed, the handle is collapsible so it can be stored in a compact space in your shed or garage, as well as transport safely to and from sites. Additionally, starting this tiller is a breeze with its instant start button and safety switch, simply plug it in and you’re good to go!
#2. CHAMPION POWER EQUIPMENT 19-Inch Dual Rotating Rear Tine Tiller
- Versatile - with a 19-inch tilling width and an 8-inch tilling depth, this Tiller features dual-rotation tilling, allowing a quick switch from forward to reverse for more flexibility in the garden
- Powerful - the cast iron, gear-driven transmission is housed in a heavy-duty cast-iron case and powered by a 212cc engine
- Efficient - 13-inch self-propelled agricultural tires power easily over uneven terrain, allowing you to accomplish more in less time
The Champion Power Equipment 19-Inch Dual Rotating Rear Tine Tiller is the top rear tine tiller you could find for breaking new ground. This tiller is as strong as they come; it has a 212cc engine combined with a gear-driven transmission in a hard cast-iron case. Combined with four durable 13.8-inch hardened steel tines, this means new ground is as easy to break through as freshly cultivated soil. This tiller additionally has dual rotation tilling, which you can adjust through convenient handle controls, and the bi-directional shredding design is very efficient and versatile, meaning it can handle a huge amount of soil in less time.
The Champion rear tine tiller can till a path that is up to 19 inches wide, and it is fully adjustable so you can work between narrow rows of vegetables in your garden or against hedges, or widen it to cover lots of ground in the most efficient manner. Also, the 8 inch tilling depth means you have the option to do both top level cultivation and deep soil tilling. The tires are 13 inches and have large treads so they can be used on any and all types of terrain, and they are self-propelling so you don’t need to expend any energy as the tiller does all the work. An adjustable depth gauge runs right behind the wheels as well, providing a consistent working depth and additional balance.
#3. Southland Outdoor Power Equipment SFTT142 Front Tine Tiller
- Manual recoil easy start fuel delivery system
- Adjustable 11", 16" & 21" tilling width
- 11" Tine diameter/tilling depth
Next on our list of best tillers for breaking new ground is the Southland Outdoor Power Equipment SFTT142 Front Tine Tiller. This is a great gas powered front tine tiller, with a 150cc engine that rotates the tines at 165 RPM. It also combines a gear drive system and a poly-v belt system in order to prioritize durability and a longer life span, meaning you will be able to get many years of gardening done with this tiller. The forward rotating tines are also self sharpening, so they will last longer than comparable models.
The SFTT142 has three different tilling widths, so you can adjust between them to suit any of your gardening needs. It can till a path either 11 inches, 16 inches, or 21 inches wide, depending on how far apart your vegetable rows are planted, and can dig down 11 inches into the ground for deep soil tillage. Additionally, it is a very simple machine to operate. It comes equipped with a manual recoil easy start fuel delivery system, and it can easily change from tilling mode to transport mode due to its swing tail with drag stake. It can maneuver around any landscape with its 6.5 inch wheels, and the folding loop grip handles allow for compact storage in any location.
#4. YARDMAX YT4565 208cc Dual Rotating Rear Tine Tiller
- Briggs & Stratton engine delivers 9.50 ft-lbs gross torque and 190 rpm rotational speed
- 18" wide rear tine design with 7 depth adjustments and a 6.5" working depth to cover more ground quickly
- Single hand operation allows user to stand and steer from either side of the tiller
The YARDMAX YT4565 208cc Dual Rotating Rear Tine Tiller is another rear tine tiller that is highly effective at breaking new ground. Its engine boasts a 208cc motor, with a rotational tine speed of 190 RPM and 9.5 ft-lbs of gross torque, which means this is a very powerful machine that can easily break through any kind of soil, even hard clay or uncultivated soil. This is combined with 13 inch tines that are self sharpening, so they can last for many gardening sessions, and stay sharp in order to cut through any weeds or roots that can often get in your way.
This tiller is also very good for a larger or commercial space garden, as its rear tine design is 18 inches wide. It also comes with a 6.5 inch working depth with 7 depth adjustments, so you can cultivate the topsoil layer as well as do deep soil tilling. It is also easy to maneuver; it has a front counterweight on 13 inch pneumatic wheels, so you won’t ever lose control of it. Additionally, it can be operated with only one hand from either side of the tiller, and the self-driving system means you don’t have to force it over any rough terrain.
#5. Schiller Grounds Care 7920 Mantis 2-Cycle Tiller Cultivator
- Comes with a handy carrying handle
- Entire unit weighs Only 20-pounds
- Handle Bars fold down for easy storage
The Schiller Grounds Care 7920 Mantis 2-Cycle Tiller Cultivator is a great handheld tiller to use when you need to break new ground. This gas powered tiller is incredibly lightweight – it only weighs 20 pounds – and the foldable handlebars and helpful carrying handle make it simple to transport either to and from your shed or to a friend’s lawn or garden. However, although it is lightweight it still gives a heavyweight performance. The 2-Cycle engine is placed directly over the tines, ensuring that it gets the most out of its motor, and the innovative gear design helps to deliver more power with less weight, meaning it can till any and all types of soil, including hard clay soil and uncultivated ground.
The compact design of the tiller allows you to work in small rows or hard-to-reach places, so you can till or aerate or weed up close to a fence or to another row of plants or vegetables. The handles have soft and flared grips in order to provide more comfort while tilling, and it comes with a Mantis 2-year limited warranty.
#6. Earthquake 31043 Badger Heavy Duty Front Tine Tiller
- UNDENIABLE PERFORMANCE - This tiller sets the standard for high-performance front tine tilling with a powerful Kohler engine, heavy duty design and impressive versatility.
- INCREDIBLE STABILITY- The flip-out cast iron tail system and long wheel-to-tine base provide optimal weight distribution giving the user ultimate in-row control and end-row maneuverability.
- RUGGED DURABILITY - Built to last, the Badger features a bronze gear drive transmission, heavy duty forged tines, a cast iron tail mount and all-steel constructed frame.
The Earthquake 31043 Badger Heavy Duty Front Tine Tiller is a supremely powerful tiller that can break through new ground with ease. This gas powered tiller has a strong Kohler engine, a bronze gear drive transmission, and an all-steel constructed frame, so it is heavy and tough enough to fully pulverize very hard topsoil. It is also large enough to easily till a large or commercial sized garden. With a wide 11 ¼ inch wheel diameter, it has an adjustable tilling width of 11, 16, or 21 inches, meaning you can till in narrow, tight spaces but also cover a large area in little time.
The Earthquake 31043 is stable due to the combination of its flip-out cast iron tail system and its long wheel-to-tine base, giving you and the machine the best weight distribution possible. This means perfect in-row control and optimal end-row maneuverability, so you can till and turn within relatively tight spaces. The wheels also flip in and out using a two-position tail system, making it as close to zero turn as possible.