Rear tine tillers are a great help and a necessity in almost any lawn or garden. If you are here, you are likely looking for a good rear tine tiller to use. We have researched and come up with a list of the best rear tine tillers to use for this year.
- The Top 5 Rear Tine Tillers
- #1. YARDMAX YT4565 Dual Rotating Rear Tine Tiller
- #2. EARTHQUAKE 31285 Pioneer Dual-Direction Rear Tiller
- #3. CHAMPION 100380 19-Inch Dual Rotating Rear Tine Tiller with Self-Propelled Agricultural Tires
- #4. Craftsman CMXGVAM1144037 208cc 16-Inch Gas-Powered Rear Counter-Rotating Tine Tiller
- #5. Husqvarna TR317D 17 in. 208cc Rear-Tine Tiller
The Top 5 Rear Tine Tillers
#1. YARDMAX YT4565 Dual Rotating Rear Tine Tiller
- Briggs & Stratton engine delivers 9.50 ft-lbs gross torque and 190 rpm rotational speed
- 18" wide rear tine design with 7 depth adjustments and a 6.5" working depth to cover more ground quickly
- Single hand operation allows user to stand and steer from either side of the tiller
The YARDMAX YT4565 Dual Rotating Rear Tine Tiller is the number 1 rated rear tine tiller on our list. It is great for any yard or lawn needs, for both a single homeowner and a professional contractor. The engine is Briggs & Stratton, and provides 9.5 foot-lbs of torque and rotates the tines at 190 RPM. You can also use this self propelled tiller in either forward and reverse gear, depending on your needs. It is also able to be operated by a single hand on the handlebar, meaning you can stand on either side of the tiller, as well as use your other hand to move items out of the way.
The Yardmax YT4565 has 10 tiller and 2 hammer tines, and they are all 13 inches and self sharpening, so they will last for the lifetime of your garden. These tines can be rotated in two different ways as well – you can use the forward rotation setting for easy ground cultivation and the counter rotation for deep soil tilling.
The tiller cultivates a path that is up to 18 inches wide, and it has 7 depth adjustments so it can till up to 6.5 inches deep. This allows you to cover more ground more quickly and to till both the topsoil as well as the deep soil beneath. Lastly, it is very safe and has both an adjustable side shield as well as a serrated rear shield for optimal protection.
#2. EARTHQUAKE 31285 Pioneer Dual-Direction Rear Tiller
- BALANCED AND STABLE: The lower and wider body with our transmission provides the perfect balance from front to back and side to side eliminating those tippy and top-heavy tilling experiences you get...
- INSTANT REVERSE: Unlike its competitors, Pioneer takes the “shift” out of backing up. Seamlessly maneuver backward in your garden with the quick pull of a handle. Release the handle to go forward...
- FRUSTRATION-FREE SHIFTING: Pioneer removes the guesswork from getting in gear with a shift positioning system that other dual direction tillers envy. No fuss, no cuss, no back and forth… easily find...
The EARTHQUAKE 31285 Pioneer Dual-Direction Rear Tiller is a well built and easy to use rear tine tiller for your lawn or garden. The body of the engine is made to be wide and lower to the ground, providing a balanced and stable machine. It is also quieter and has a more efficient transmission than comparable models. The Pioneer also has airless wheels which never go flat and have great traction even in loose soil. The dual grip handlebars mean easy maneuverability and one handed operation if you need to.
Shifting between forward and reverse is never easier than it is with this tiller. Instead of worrying about manually shifting between the two gears, all you need to do is pull a handle to go into reverse, and release it when you are ready to go forward again. It also has a simple shifting plate that takes all of the guesswork and frustration out of shifting between tilling modes.
This model tiller is able to generate 3.7 foot pounds of torque and can spin the hardened sheet metal tines at up to 200 RPM. It’s dual rotational as well, meaning you can till with forward rotating tines for simple cultivation, or use the counter rotation setting if you need to till deeper into the soil.
#3. CHAMPION 100380 19-Inch Dual Rotating Rear Tine Tiller with Self-Propelled Agricultural Tires
- Versatile - with a 19-inch tilling width and an 8-inch tilling depth, this Tiller features dual-rotation tilling, allowing a quick switch from forward to reverse for more flexibility in the garden
- Powerful - the cast iron, gear-driven transmission is housed in a heavy-duty cast-iron case and powered by a 212cc engine
- Efficient - 13-inch self-propelled agricultural tires power easily over uneven terrain, allowing you to accomplish more in less time
Next on our list is the CHAMPION 100380 19-Inch Dual Rotating Rear Tine Tiller. This tiller is the largest model on this list – it has a tillage path that is 19 inches wide and up to 8 inches deep, meaning you can till your large garden or your entire yard in a shorter amount of time. It is also very versatile and adjustable to suit to your lawn’s specific needs. It has both forward rotation tilling and counter rotation tilling, meaning it is up to any task.
The tines on the Champion 100380 are 13.8 inches wide and made of hardened steel, meaning this tiller was designed to last a very long time and to perform at a high level for its entire lifespan. The tines employ a bidirectional shredding design, so even the toughest clay soil or large tree roots and weeds are not a problem to till through. It also has a very powerful 212cc engine that boasts a high RPM and high torque to ensure that the soil is completely aerated and ready for planting.
Additionally, it has large 13 inch tires that are self propelled, meaning that even on tough terrain you won’t have to push or pull the tiller, but rather simply guide it as it powers through itself. An easily adjustable depth gauge also runs directly behind the tiller, giving you a view of your exact tilling depth at all times.
#4. Craftsman CMXGVAM1144037 208cc 16-Inch Gas-Powered Rear Counter-Rotating Tine Tiller
- 208cc gas engine: powerful gas engine is equipped with recoil start.
- 10-INCH REAR STEEL TINES: Rear tines are perfect for large planting areas, cultivating, weeding, and working in compost or vegetation for the end of the season.
- Premium Tiller cover: fits most tillers up to 46"l x 22"W x 41"H (back), 17"H (front) including Craftsman models Cmxgvam1144043, Cmxgvam1144037, Cmxgvam1144036, 340 Series, bronco, and super bronco
The Craftsman CMXGVAM1144037 208cc 16-Inch Gas-Powered Rear Counter-Rotating Tine Tiller is Craftsman’s best rated rear tine tiller, which means high quality and craftsmanship. It has a high powered 208cc engine equipped with a recoil start and chain drive, so it is strong and durable enough to pulverize even hard soil or clay, as well as rip through unwanted weeds and pull out root systems.
The tines on the Craftsman are 10 inches wide and made of steel. They are counter rotating, meaning they are highly effective at breaking new ground more easily, as well as digging deeper into the soil. This model has a 16 inch wide path, and can till up to 6 inches deep. These tines and wide path make this tiller perfect for any garden or lawn need, like large planting areas or cultivating vegetation for end of the season work.
It has a large rear tine shield, which means it is incredibly safe and able to protect you during tilling from flying debris as well as the tines themselves. It has 11 inch X 4 inch pneumatic tires with great traction for easy maneuvering around, even in loose soil, and it is comfortable and simple to push with its Loop and Bail handle. Additionally, it comes with a 2 year limited warranty and is also available in a 14 inch model.
#5. Husqvarna TR317D 17 in. 208cc Rear-Tine Tiller
- Dual-rotating rear tines offer 6.5-inch tilling depth
- Forward and reverse gears make unit maneuverable
- Husqvarna engine delivers power and dependability
The final option on our list of rear tine tillers for your lawn and garden is the Husqvarna TR317D 17 in. 208cc Rear-Tine Tiller. This tiller is the most expensive, but also the highest quality product on our list. The 208cc, Husqvarna engine is very powerful and helps the tines cut through any and all soil types and underground debris, while the sealed transmission ensures that the engine will never corrode and be durable for a very long time.
The rear tines on the Husqvarna TR317D have a cultivation width of 17 inches and a tilling depth of up to 6.5 inches, which makes it a perfect tiller for a large garden or even a commercial sized lawn. The tines are also variable in their rotation, so they can be forward rotating when cultivation is needed and counter rotating when tilling is necessary.
Additionally, it has both forward and reverse gears, as well as high traction tire treads and an easy push handle, to make the whole tiller highly maneuverable for its size. If you have any problems or issues when using your tiller, Husqvarna stands by their products with a 3 year limited warranty, which is longer than comparable models.