If you are looking for a great deal on a tiller, or need to do garden work, and are on a budget, we have a great list for you. These are the top tillers we have found that are under $1000 in price.
- The Top 6 Rear Tine Tillers for Under $1000 Reviewed
- #1. Southland SRTT196E Rear Tine Tiller
- #2. YARDMAX YT4565 Dual Rotating Rear Tine Tiller
- #3. Poulan Pro PPCRT17 17-in. 208cc Counter Rotating Rear-Tine Tiller
- #4. Craftsman CMXGVAM1144036 208cc 14-Inch Gas Powered Rear Counter Rotating Tine Tiller
- #5. CHAMPION POWER EQUIPMENT 19-Inch Dual Rotating Rear Tine Tiller
- #6. Troy-Bilt Bronco 208cc Powermore Counter Rotating Gas Powered Rear Tine Tiller
- In conclusion: Which is the Best Rear Tine Tiller Under $1000 For You?
The Top 6 Rear Tine Tillers for Under $1000 Reviewed
#1. Southland SRTT196E Rear Tine Tiller
- 11-inch tine diameter / 10-inch tilling depth
- Forward and reverse gear drive system
- Self sharpening counter rotating tines eliminating the need to remove tines for sharpening
The Southland SRTT196E Rear Tine Tiller is our number 1 choice for the best tiller under $1000. As a rear tine tiller, this is a powerful machine that would work for any size yard, but particularly will allow you to till a larger lawn or garden with ease. The SRTT196E can grind up even the toughest clay soil due to its impressive 196cc 4-cycle, 9.6-foot-pound OHV engine, and it has 11-inch self-sharpening tines that can till a path up to 18 inches wide. The tilling depth is 10 inches deep, and can be easily monitored and adjusted with the depth regulator lever.
The tines are self sharpening and counter-rotating, which eliminates the need to remove them from the tiller and sharpen them, saving you both time and unnecessary wear and tear. Additionally, you can till both backwards and forwards due to the adjustable gear drive system. An easy manual recoil starter mechanism, folding pistol grip handles, as well as heavy-duty 13-inch pneumatic tires that allow you to traverse rocky and uneven terrain are other additions that make this machine simple, easy, and comfortable to use. Packaged with a two-year limited warranty, this tiller may be a bargain to buy but it certainly won’t seem like it when you see the results in your garden.
#2. YARDMAX YT4565 Dual Rotating Rear Tine Tiller
- Briggs & Stratton engine delivers 9.50 ft-lbs gross torque and 190 rpm rotational speed
- 18" wide rear tine design with 7 depth adjustments and a 6.5" working depth to cover more ground quickly
- Single hand operation allows user to stand and steer from either side of the tiller
The YARDMAX YT4565 Dual Rotating Rear Tine Tiller is another rear tine tiller that can till any size garden you can think of, without any change in its performance. With the YT4565, Yardmax guarantees you’ll be able to get your job done without paying too much for the tiller or expending too much energy. Even if you have a garden with clay or hard soil, the Briggs and Stratton engine provides 9.5 ft-lbs of gross torque as well as a tine rotation speed of 190 RPM, meaning it can grind through any soil with minimal resistance. Additionally, it boasts a durable transmission and self-propelled drive system with both forward and reverse gears. This way, you can rotate the tines in either direction, allowing you to adjust the tiller to fit any specific gardening need you might have.
The 13-inch tines are self sharpening and can till a path 18 inches wide. Additionally, this tiller has 7 unique depth adjustments and a 6.5 inch working depth, so you can just till your top soil or churn up the deeper layers underneath. It is also easy and safe to operate – you only need one hand, which allows you to operate it while standing on either side, and the adjustable side shield and serrated rear shield both provide high levels of safety for yourself and others. Lastly, the 13-inch pneumatic wheels allows it to handle any terrain.
#3. Poulan Pro PPCRT17 17-in. 208cc Counter Rotating Rear-Tine Tiller
- Featuring 13 in. counter-rotating tines making this tiller easy to operate for small or large jobs with the power to break up heavy, uncultivated soil quickly and easily
- The heavy duty chain drive transmission with Power Reverse offers forward and reverse operation. The powerful, long lasting design drives tines in forward mode and makes transport effortless in...
- This split loop adjustable handle can be raised or lowered to your needs and allows for one handed operation from either the left or right side of the tiller
Next on our list of the best rear tine tillers for under $1000 is the Poulan Pro PPCRT17 17-in. 208cc Counter Rotating Rear-Tine Tiller. This is another very powerful tiller, with the 208cc engine and the 13-inch counter rotating tines providing ample power to till through all kinds of soil, such as sod, uncultivated soil, compacted soil, and clay. Even root systems and weeds are no match. Additionally, the PPCRT17 boasts a heavy duty chain transmission, and the LCT Overhead Valve engine also keeps the motor running cooler and more efficiently, so you can get many years of use out of this tiller.
With a combination of power forward and reverse operation and the counter-rotating tines, this tiller can do anything from top-level soil cultivation to deep soil tilling. When in reverse mode, you can also transport the tiller to and from your garden with minimal effort, as the large wheels can maneuver over any type of ground. In addition, it boasts adjustable split loop handles that can be raised or lowered to suit the users needs, and can be operated with only one hand from either the right or left side of the tiller. Lastly, Poulan backs up their machine with a 2 year limited warranty.
#4. Craftsman CMXGVAM1144036 208cc 14-Inch Gas Powered Rear Counter Rotating Tine Tiller
- 208cc gas engine: powerful gas engine is equipped with recoil start.
- 10-INCH REAR STEEL TINES: Rear tines are perfect for large planting areas, cultivating, weeding, and working in compost or vegetation for the end of the season.
- Counter-rotating tines: dig into new ground more easily and deeper soil with more torque output.
The Craftsman CMXGVAM1144036 208cc 14-Inch Gas Powered Rear Counter Rotating Tine Tiller is a great tiller for any of your garden or lawn work, including large planting areas, weeding, cultivating, composting, or deep soil tilling. This tiller has a high performance 208cc gas engine equipped with a recoil start and chain drive. Additionally, it boasts 10-inch steel counter-rotating tines that help you to dig into new and compacted soil more easily, as well as deeper soil, due to its high torque output.
The Craftsman can till a path that is 14 inches wide, as well as 7 inches deep, which allows you to work within both narrow gardens as well as wide open yards. The 11” x 4” pneumatic tires provide a high level of maneuverability over both hard and uneven terrain, so you can safely operate the tiller while it’s on and easily transport it when it is turned off. Additionally, it has a Loop and Bail handle that provides comfortable handling and a rear tine shield to give you more protection and safety while in use. Craftsman also offers this tiller with a 2 year limited warranty to ensure the highest amount of satisfaction.
#5. CHAMPION POWER EQUIPMENT 19-Inch Dual Rotating Rear Tine Tiller
- Versatile - with a 19-inch tilling width and an 8-inch tilling depth, this Tiller features dual-rotation tilling, allowing a quick switch from forward to reverse for more flexibility in the garden
- Powerful - the cast iron, gear-driven transmission is housed in a heavy-duty cast-iron case and powered by a 212cc engine
- Efficient - 13-inch self-propelled agricultural tires power easily over uneven terrain, allowing you to accomplish more in less time
The Champion Power Equipment 19-Inch Dual Rotating Rear Tine Tiller offers the widest tilling path width of any tiller on this list. It can till up to 19 inches wide and 8 inches deep, so you can use it for any job you can think of, and it is particularly well suited for large commercial gardens or lawns. You can also adjust the tilling width to work in narrow sections, like alongside hedges or in between rows of plants.
This tiller houses a 212cc engine that powers a cast-iron, gear driven transmission in a heavy duty cast-iron case, so you don’t have to worry about not having enough power to pulverize even the most unforgiving soil. Additionally, it boasts four 13.8 inch hardened steel tines that can do both forward and counter rotating, allowing you to quickly switch between forward and reverse. This Champion model also comes with 13 inch self-propelled tires that can tackle difficult terrain, as well as a 2 year limited warranty.
#6. Troy-Bilt Bronco 208cc Powermore Counter Rotating Gas Powered Rear Tine Tiller
- Powered by a 208cc Troy-Bilt 4-Cycle Engine
- Equipped with a cast-iron encased bronze gear drive transmission for top of the line durability
- Offers up to a 14-inch tilling width
The Troy-Bilt Bronco 208cc Powermore Counter Rotating Gas Powered Rear Tine Tiller is a very robust and well built tiller. It comes equipped with a 208cc, 4-cycle Troy-Bilt engine, as well as a bronze gear drive transmission encased in cast-iron, which means it is very durable and will last for years of gardening and tilling work. The whole tiller is made from a high-quality carbon steel material for longevity and strength.
It has both forward tine rotation and power reverse, to make backing out of tight spaces or turning away from edges much simpler. Additionally, it has 10 inch steel tines that produce a tilling path of up to 14 inches wide and 6 inches deep. For home gardens or smaller spaces, this is an optimal choice for a tiller.
In conclusion: Which is the Best Rear Tine Tiller Under $1000 For You?
Rear tine tillers are a large investment, and therefore it is best to take your time to do the proper research and compare all of the best models on the market today, which we have done in this post for you.
If you’re still wondering which rear tine tiller you should buy, we would again recommend the Southland SRTT196E Rear Tine Tiller, as it contains all of the features you could need in a tiller, comes at a reasonable price, and will help transform your garden into the envy of all who see it.
We wish you the best of luck in all of your future tilling endeavors!