Your weekend project involves stripping paint off a few doors and a bunch of woodwork.
You don’t want to spend a whole day on this task, because there’s still so much more to do for your project.
You also don’t want to use harsh chemicals to strip the paint, because using them in a confined room can be harmful to your health.
Join me while I take a look at the best heat guns on the market and break down your options so you can make the best choice for your situation.
Top Heat Guns on the Market
How do you quickly remove paint so you can move on with your project?
A heat gun is a great solution to removing even the thickest layers of paint. A heat gun uses high, concentrated heat to loosen paint from a surface, so you can easily scrape it away.
Even if the surface is coated in layer after layer of paint, a heat gun can make quick work of the job.
Once this project is complete, heat guns have a multitude of other uses, making it a worthwhile purchase.
But what is the best heat gun for removing paint?
I did all of the dirty work so you can find the best for your situation.
1. Wagner 503008
- DUAL TEMPERATURE HEAT GUNS: The HT1000 Heat Gun offers a 750ᵒF and 1000ᵒF temperature setting to easily help complete household home improvement tasks
- HEAT GUN FOR HOUSEHOLD PROJECTS: Use this heat gun to soften paint, electrical wire shrinking, caulking, adhesive or putty for removal. Other applications include shrink wrap, bend plastic pipes, and...
- HEAT GUN ADJUSTABLE SETTINGS AND DURABILITY: The two fan speeds provide additional control to customize to your project needs. Features a corrosion resistant nozzle for long lasting use and integrated...
If you want a basic heat gun you can just plug in and use, the Wagner 0503008 is a good option.
It doesn’t come with any accessories, like nozzles for specific jobs, but its reviews claim it gets the job done.
It uses a 1200-watt motor and dual temperature settings.
It’s low setting is 750 degrees and it has a high temperature setting of 1000 degrees Fahrenheit.
The higher the temperature, the better for stripping paint, so the Wagner 0503008 does a good job of stripping paint at its high setting.
2. Black & Decker HG1300
- VERSATILE USE – 1,350 W heat gun is useful for a variety of applications, such as stripping paint, loosening rusted nuts, thawing pipes, and more.
- DUAL TEMPERATURE SETTINGS – Switch between 750°F and 1,000°F temperature settings.
- BUILT-IN STAND – Makes cooldown easier and safer.
However, if basic is what you’re looking for, the Black & Decker HG1300 is a better option than the Wagner.
It has a slightly more powerful motor at 1375-watts, and the same temperature settings.
It doesn’t seem to come with any extra accessories, so if you want something basic that you don’t need to put much thought into, this is a good choice for you.
At 1.9 pounds, it won’t hurt your wrist with long use.
Being slightly cheaper and slightly more powerful, this is the better option than the Wagner, unless you have something against Black & Decker as a brand.
3. Genesis GHG1500A
- Powerful 12.5 amp motor 1500/750 watt
- High and low temperature settings for versatility
- Deflector nozzles protect glass and other surfaces while Reflector nozzle speeds Thawing of pipes. 3 Position rocker type switch for high temperature, off and low temperature
If you want a heat gun that gives you more control, the Genesis GHG1500A beats out both the Wagner and Black & Decker.
It’s more powerful than the previous two at 1500-watts.
It has the same max temperature of 1000 degrees, which is good for removing paint.
However, the Genesis also comes with various nozzles that direct the heat in different ways for different jobs.
They can help you direct the heat better for removing paint, but also make the gun more versatile for future jobs
4. PORTER-CABLE PC1500HG
- 1500 Watts Deliver High Heat And Multiple Fan Settings For Porter-Cable Heat Gun
- 2 Speed Selector Delivers High And Low Fan Speed Settings
- Variable Temperature Dial Allows For Easy Adjustment Of Temperatures
If you want a slightly higher temperature without a ridiculous price jump, the Porter-Cable PC1500HG is a good option.
It uses a 1500-watt motor which is pretty decent for it’s price point.
Its variable temperature control and dual fan speed provide a max temperature of 1100 degrees Fahrenheit.
That makes it the most powerful gun on the list so far, and the best for removing paint so far.
It also comes with a hands-free support stand, so you can stand it in place for some jobs and let it cool properly before putting it away.
It’s a great option for removing paint, especially if you have a thicker layer to remove.
5. DEWALT D26960K
- LCD display of DEWALT heat gun allows user to adjust temperature within 50-degree increments
- Built-in overload protection shuts the heating element down and prevents burn up
- Built-in hang ring adds a convenient storage feature
If you’re in the mood to be super indulgent, check out the Dewalt D2690K.
This is the priciest heat gun which is more expensive than all of the other heat guns on this list combined.
With a max temperature of 1100 degrees, it can certainly strip your paint quickly.
Where it shines is in the features. The most indulgent is the LCD display that allows you to change the temperature in 50-degree increments.
It also comes with nozzles, scrapers, and accessories galore, so you can do things you didn’t know were possible with a heat gun.
If you want to make a serious investment and use a heat gun to its fullest potential, the Dewalt is for you.
For practicality, the best heat gun for removing paint on this list has to be the Porter-Cable PC1500HG 1500-Watt Heat Gun.
It’s the best combination of price, power, and accessories, especially if you’re only looking to use it for removing paint.
All of them can remove paint, but the Porter wins because it has the highest temperature.
Unless you want to use a heat gun for every project, every day, the Dewalt is pricey when compared to models around $20 that can still get the job done.
The extra features of the Dewalt are cool, but for removing paint, the Porter does the same quality of work.